Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkin Carving, of course

Let me start with a confession: I don't like pumpking carving. It's not that I don't like to carve pumpkins myself, in fact I LOVE to do them myself ~ that's the artsy side of me ~ it's the mess. Watching my 3 children cut, scrape, play with the innards, and wipe the pumpkin goo all over whatever spot in the kitchen or themselves is not already slimy, makes my left eye twitch. {And just so we're clear, I'm admitting this only so all the other anti-playdough anti-paint moms can feel better about themselves.} However, I will participate in this activity every year because it's tradition, because it makes my children very happy, and because I actually will enjoy it once I get into the goo. The result of the activity is always delight for everyone. Me included.

Last night, after the children had asked at least 35 times if we were EVER going to carve our pumpkins ~ which we grew ourselves by the way--oh yeah I can do dirt with the children :) ~ Hubby talked me into it. I gotta say, there was no eye-twitching mess. Pumpkin carved 3 crosses for Jesus into his pumpkin, and Princess's "mommy's gotta carve me a horse idea" turned into a "let's make yours polka-dotted" idea from daddy carved with a drill. She's super happy ~ it's a cheetah pumpkin! And Peanut was perfectly happy doing her "homework" with the pumpkin "paint" and lining up the drilled out pumpkin parts, which she said were the little ones ready to go to MOPS. Awwww what a sweetie! But then she all-too-happily chucked each little MOPS person into the garbage.
So tonight we're going to our church Carnival Extravaganza, so I'll post our little trick-or-treaters later! Happy Halloween!

P.S. I'm posting a photo of the spider who greeted me at the front door last night. EEECK!


So, I've made "A Mother's Confession" to you, tell me something your children or family love to do that makes your eye twitch.....

5 comments:

the millers said...

that is one NASTY looking spider....

Kristina said...

I can't believe I was brave enough to get a close-up photograph and then not have any nightmares. That's a HUGE step for me. I really should have squished that one.

Fruitful Harvest said...

Hey Girl~
Awesome job on your blog~
Looks like you all had fun~ I have never been a pumpkin girl myself...
who wants to give 4 boys knives?? Do you really think they listen to me well enough,that no one would end up with an eye poked out???LOL

Well I can't wait for MOPS tomorrow! See there!

Peace in Christ,
Georgiann

Sarah: said...

I hae to be honest - the mess makes me cringe too - which is why we typically do it OUTSIDE so I can hose the porch afterwards : ) also - floury messes in the kitchen make my BP rise!

rebekah said...

my kide love to cook...anything and everything and I inevitable find flour and sugar in new places after each adventure in the kitchen. the worst is cookies for Santa. I love baking but all the extra "help" makes for a long and exausting clean up.