Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cookie Sheet Advent Calendar



Have you seen these adorable advent calendars made from a cookie sheet? My friend, Heather, saw one (purchased from a craft fair), told me about it, and asked if I would host a craft day at my house. So last Sunday Heather, Leslie, and Yelena came over and we got crafty!
There are so many blogs and crafts sites that have photos and directions for this project, but in reality, they're very self-explanatory, but I'll include instructions for your convenience.
I've only had mine completed for a week and my kids are nuts about it! They just simply cannot wait to countdown to Christmas. I'm hoping to come up with some kind of treat, written on a piece of paper, to put underneath each magnet too.
Supplies:
Cookie Sheet
Sanding paper
Paint
25 Magnets
Modge Podge or ATG Adhesive
Scrapbook papers
Embellishments
24" Ribbon
I used an 11 x 17 cookie sheet, purchased from Wal-Mart for about $4.50.
Sand off as much of the non-stick surface from the back of the sheet as you can.
If you want to paint the edges, you will need to sand that part too.
(I chose not to paint this one)
Drill two holes on the top edge for the ribbon hanger (I used my Crop-a-Dile).
Measure and cut your papers for the top and bottom sections.
Either adhere your papers with Modge Podge or with strong adhesive (I used ATG tape).
Paint the edges of your cookie sheet, if you chose to do so.
Let dry completely.
Using a ruler and marker, make a 25 square grid for your days before Christmas.
(My 2 friends' papers were small enough to run through my printer, but my paper was 10"x10", so I drew my grid with a black fine-tip marker.)
Adhere your calendar paper to your cookie sheet.
Make your 25 magnets to your liking.
Embellish your calendar with whatever you fancy.
I challenge those of you who would love to make this to only use what you have in your stash. The only items I had to purchase were the cookie sheet ($4.50) and the magnets ($2.50).
Create yours and link me a photo! I would love to see it! Happy crafting!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Holy Hannah! That is FABULOUS! I can't wait to copy you. This is on the list to be completed in Spring of 2010!

Kristina said...

ROFL! I'm so glad you love it! I should just make you one for Christmas....

sarah said...

Very cute!!!
I saw one simular that is with muffin tins. The magnets are over the wholes and the treat is in the muffin hole.

Sarah: said...

(the other Sarah, that is) I'm going to do this! Fun! Thanks for posting this with the instructions!

Fruitful Harvest said...

Hi there Kristina~
Very cute...looks like it took some time? You are so crafty! I wish you would have made my picture frames at MOPS last week! LOL

Peace and Prayers,
Georgiann