Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Garden's Beginning to Show!

One trellis of peas growing nicely


My favorite garden helper

We have 4 rows of corn, coming up!


A glimpse of the beets and romaine lettuce rows
(potatoes in the background)



Natalie (ok her hand) picking strawberries


It's time to garden again! YES! A favorite thing of mine is growing food for my family. I know a lot of people do it, but producing food from seed provides so much enjoyment and fulfillment. I remember one dinner last year we had steak, potatoes, veggies, and salad. Jason said "Is this all from our garden?" Yes it was, including the beef. We raise cows for beef and this year we have chickens too!
When is it officially a farm? Do I have to wear overalls?


It always seems like to much work to get started, mulch, compost, tilling the ground which my hubby faithfully does several times before planting time comes around. This year we added sturdy trellises made from leftover posts and fencing wire. I love to recycle junk.... I'm working on making a bed from a metal antique bed frame, and we're finding the right spot for an old bathtub Jason found in the cow pasture last year. He knew I'd love it....




The kids and I planted most of the seeds on Memorial Day, a late start but I think it was a good thing to wait because we ended up with a few late frosts just up until the week before. These photos are from the end of June. I promise to take some new photos tomorrow to show you how our garden is progressing....

2 comments:

The Owens said...

Don't forget the overalls in the next update :) LOVE the garden!! I can't wait to start ours hopefully next year :)

Heather Landry said...

I totally think you should wear overalls. LOL We've been enjoying our own little garden this year (tomatoes and bell peppers) and plan to put in a bigger one next year. My grandma loves recycling old stuff like that. Such a cool idea.